We live in a high tech world in which technology is always at our finger tips. It is an important part of our everyday lives. So have you ever considered getting into a technology driven field like digital marketing? Though it is a relatively new industry, it is constantly growing and evolving. A role in digital marketing combines creativity and analytics. In most cases, there isn't a linear path to get into this field and successful professionals come from a diversity of educational backgrounds. So while the title says marketing - your degree doesn't necessarily need to.
So instead of thinking about what specific degree you need - let's talk about the more important factor - the skills you need to break into this fast growing career. Let's talk about some key experiences you will need to have:
- Social Media - it is important to gain familiarity with all platforms - beyond just your personal use. So offer to manage the social media for a student organization you belong to. Maybe launch a new channel for a cause or topic you feel strongly about. Have a current part-time job - ask if you can help out with their social media.
- Blogging/writing - Strong writing skills are key. You can start your own blog around a topic of interest or cause you feel strongly about. Also, several other sites are looking to curate content and are willing to review and publish your material. So reach out and just simply ask - you will be amazed how quickly your content can spread. Doesn't hurt to be a published blogger!
- Digital design skills - Social media posts often need to be accompanied with visuals and digital ads are a standard expectation in a virtual marketing strategy. Having a baseline knowledge of how to design these assets is key. So pick up an elective course in this area or check out the enormous amount of free content and training online. This will help you enhance your skills and also build a portfolio of work.
- Building strategy - any good marketer must be able to develop a visionary strategy for the product, service, person, etc. they are working for. This ensures a cohesive brand and message. Your skills in thinking big picture will be almost as important as your ability to execute. Think of ways to gain experience managing projects, events, anything that shows your strategic planning skills.
- Data analysis - Data is the key to successful marketing these days. Being able to analyze data in order to effectively target audiences is the norm. Work on your ability to review data, draw conclusions and make recommendations. Check out the web for in depth training on the trends in data analytics and digital marketing.
So if you are interested in breaking into this growing field get started now on building your skills and resume. We also suggest logging into your Handshake account and updating your career interests to reflect the areas that you are most excited about. This will ensure that you are first to know about relevant internships, jobs, events and career fairs.