Career and Professional Development Services is here to support people from diverse identity intersections.
While there are many laws that prohibit discrimination based on gender or sexuality, there are still many questions and concerns that you may have when navigating the job search. Questions like, “Will I be supported as a transgender or non binary person within this company?” or, “Will I be able to speak outwardly about my partner/s and family at my workplace?”
Career and Professional Development Services is a place where you can navigate these questions and find resources to utilize when entering the workforce. We want to support you in bringing your full self here and are committed to helping you find inclusive environments when you leave the University and start your career.
Job Search & Interview Resources
LGBTQ+ friendly job search engines
Helpful tips on type of questions to ask during an interview as well as dressing gender neutral for interviews.
- Interview Questions to asking during interviews: https://www.mossier.com/blog/lgbtq-interview-questions/
- Gender neutral interview attire: https://www.thebalancecareers.com/gender-neutral-interview-and-business-clothing-2061166
Is the company an Ally?
Different resources for students to be able to research if a potential company they are interested in working for is LGBTQ+ friendly and how these companies value their LGBTQ+ employees.
- Corporate Equality Index: https://www.hrc.org/resources/corporate-equality-index?from=job-cast&utm_medium=cg
- Municipal Equality Index: https://www.hrc.org/resources/municipal-equality-index-2
- LGBT Map- Employee nondiscrimination: https://www.lgbtmap.org/equality-maps/employment_non_discrimination_laws
- Indeed- How To Find an LGBTQIA+ Friendly Workplace: https://www.indeed.com/career-advice/finding-a-job/finding-lgbt-friendly-workplaces?from=job-cast&utm_medium=cg
Navigating the Workplace
Getting Started at Work
Resources on how to navigate coming out conversations in the workplace and how to feel empowered as an LGBTQ+ individual in the workplace.
- Coming Out at Work: https://www.hrc.org/resources/coming-out-at-work
- Pride at Work- Union Guide to Discussing LGBTQ+ People and Issues: https://www.prideatwork.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/LGBTQGuide2021.pdf
- Out & Equal- Your story. Your Truth. Your Power: https://outandequal.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/YourStoryTruthPower-1.pdf
Know your rights at work
Resources to educate students on rights and protections awarded to LGBTQ+ people in the workplace.
- LGBTQ+ Rights at Work: https://www.zippia.com/advice/lgbt-resource-guide/
- U.S. Federal Government Employment Policies: https://www.hrc.org/resources/u-s-federal-government-employment-policies