Are you interested in enabling the forward-leaning philanthropic and impact investing initiatives of our clients by ensuring high standards of service and operational execution? We are looking for an experienced, organized and detail-oriented go-getter for the REMOTE role of Senior Accountant to support our Finance and Accounting Team by providing accounting, administrative, and record-keeping support. The primary role of this position is to apply accounting principles and standards related to complex transactions; preparing and analyzing financial information accurately and with timeliness; and applying best practices, always seeking efficiencies and effectiveness. The Senior Accountant will join the team for an important period of growth and transition so the ability to maintain focus and productivity amidst change is essential, as is a passion for process improvement.
The ideal candidate has a service heart, and excellent communication, technology, organizational and analytical skills. The ideal candidate will have at least five years’ of accounting experience, including accounts payable and cash management, working in non-profits and/or private investments. Advanced coursework in accounting or finance, and/or accreditations such as certified public accountant (CPA) or certified management accountant (CMA) are a plus. Experience with private investments, complex transactions, and annual audits is also beneficial.
This is a unique and exciting opportunity within an organization that combines private and public market investment accounting with a non-profit mission.
The Senior Accountant role is a full-time, remote position and can work from anywhere in the US, following Eastern time zone business hours. As a remote, people-first culture, we care deeply about our team members’ connections to one another and as such, travel 2-3 times per year to company events will be required. The position reports to the Director of Finance/Controller.
While specific responsibilities will vary at times based on organizational needs, client activities, and Finance team priorities, the following are typical duties of the Senior Accountant.
Cash Activity Monitoring and Recording
• Coordinate the tracking of banking transactions and communicate with our Operations Team
• Record Donor Advised Fund contributions, investments, capital calls, repayments, and interest income into accounting system
• Facilitate daily outgoing electronic transfers
• Prepare reconciliation to various subsystems and custodial statements
Monthly General Ledger Entries
• Prepare journal entries and reconciliations in accounting system, and review for accuracy, timeliness, and consistency. General ledger entries include, but are not limited to, cash related transactions, payroll and 401k accruals, fixed assets, prepaid and accrued expense.
• Prepare account reconciliation for Balance Sheet accounts, includes reviewing appropriateness of balance, preparing appropriate reclass JEs, and providing explanation/detail of remaining balances
Accounts Payable and Expenses
• Provide hands-on support for AP processes, as needed; act as primary point of contact if AP functions are outsourced
• Prepare Positive Pay file and upload to online banking site
• Monitor Positive Pay exception items and raise exceptions to Manager
• Record non check payments in accounting system, and record Giving Fund professional services and Fiscal Sponsorship expenses in Donor Advised Fund administration system
• Create and communicate procedures for documents required for new vendors
• Ensure vendor documents and files are organized, complete and up to date
• Lead annual 1099 reporting process
Audit and Tax
• Respond to and prepare interim and year-end financial schedule requests
• Assist with interim and year-end financial statement preparation
• Assist with annual Form 990 preparation
• Document existing processes and procedures
• Identify internal control weaknesses, and propose and communicate remedial changes leading to effectiveness and efficiencies
• Identify automation opportunities