What is the Emerging Professional Residency Program?
Milwaukee Repertory Theater’s Emerging Professional Residency is an apprenticeship program that serves as a bridge into the professional theater world. Geared towards those dedicated to careers in the performing arts, this Residency creates the opportunity to connect with professionals from around the country and spend a season working in one of America’s foremost regional theaters. Residents will participate in crucial roles on and off-stage through close collaboration with established theater professionals, while learning about the business of theater from guest artists and experts in the field.
What is the mission of the Emerging Professional Residency Program?
To develop the next generation of American Theater artists and leaders through hands-on artistic practices.
What Residencies are Available?
We are currently taking applications for Acting, Directing, Education & Engagement, Costume Construction, and Stage Management Residencies for the 2023/2024 Season. Start date varies by position and Residencies run 19 to 40 weeks in length between August and May.
Who should apply?
Milwaukee Rep is committed to creating a culturally diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity company. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for Residency without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We highly encourage applications from artists from all communities and backgrounds.
The EPR program is designed for early-career professionals with a firm commitment to a theater vocation and a desire to continue learning and developing their skills through deep immersion in the inner workings of a large regional theater.
All residents share a basic set of qualifications:
- Demonstrated skills needed for chosen department
- Good communication skills
- Resilient work ethic
- A level of maturity and self-sufficiency to work in a professional theater environment
- Consistently able to arrive on time and ready for work
- Initiative to embrace relevant learning opportunities
Residents come to the program with varying degrees of experience: from recent college graduates to individuals with a few credits looking to expand their professional resume. At this time, we are unable to accept applicants without a current US Work Permit.
COVID UPDATE: Please note that we will require all EPRs to be fully vaccinated before starting their Residency.
Benefits of being an EPR
- $275 untaxed weekly stipend
- Safe and secure housing in one of Milwaukee’s best locations with access to great retail and transportation.
- Accommodations include a private bedroom in a shared apartment ($600/mo. value)
- Transportation (unlimited bus pass or parking stipend, $90/mo. value)
- Travel stipend for relocation to Milwaukee area ($200)
- Professional Development Workshops
- Mentorship from Milwaukee Rep leaders
How can I learn more?
Virtual Open Houses will be held on February 25 at 2:30pm (CST) and March 14 at 5:00pm (CST) with several Milwaukee Rep staff members available to answer any questions you may have. Register for an open house and join our mailing list by filling out the interest form here.
When will I know if I am accepted?
The acceptance timeline greatly depends on the number of applications received for your desired department. Supervisors of each category will work steadfastly to assess your application materials and inform you of your acceptance in a reasonable period of time.
Please pay attention to the following when it comes to completing your application:
- The application must be completed and submitted in one session. While you can make revisions once you have started and you will have a chance to review your final application before submitting, you may not exit the application and return at a later time. Please plan accordingly. It is strongly recommended that you gather the application materials requested in the descriptions below in advance of beginning the online application form.
- You will be asked to upload several additional files (see below). Make sure that they are saved in either .doc or .pdf format. Files using .txt, .jpeg, and other formats may not be properly received and may prevent full consideration of your application. (EPR Acting applicants: please see the note in the description below for best formats of self-taped auditions).
- For questions about your application status, please defer to the email referenced in your respective job description.