By Lilia Zacchia
"Mentoring is a brain to pick, an ear to listen, and a push in the right direction." (John Crosby)
Interested in making a career change, but not sure where to start?
Encounter a situation at work that you just aren’t sure how to handle?
Not sure what career is the best fit for your strengths and interests?
Curious about how to manage the work-life balance?
A relationship with a mentor who provides knowledge and support can assist you in answering even the toughest of career questions. These connections can provide you with a host of benefits and, in a competitive economy, a mentoring relationship can provide you with an advantage that you never knew you needed.
The importance of having a mentor, or multiple mentors, throughout the course of one’s career cannot be overstated. To understand the competitive edge that having a mentor can provide, it is vital to understand the role of a mentor and what that really entails. Mentoring is a powerful career development tool that can help advance one’s professional goals and aspirations. Mentors serve as guides to their mentees and their job is to listen, offer advice, encouragement, and support.
Mentoring does not need to be a long-term commitment; even a one-time time conversation can positively impact your career trajectory. A conversation with a mentor can help you identify new opportunities, open your mind to new ideas, advise you on how to navigate the workplace, and be an essential component in the journey of achieving your professional goals. In fact, did you know that employees who received mentoring were promoted FIVE times more often than people who didn’t have mentors? Also, 75% of executives point to mentoring as playing key roles in their careers!
…Not sold yet? Then read below for even more reasons that highlight exactly why you need to establish a mentoring relationship, today!
- A mentor can help you create a career path that fits your individualized passions, talents and interests.
- A mentor can assist you in finding ways to grow professionally.
- Chances are, your mentor has been exactly where you are right now…Mentors can share valuable life lessons and educate you on what to do (and sometimes what not to do!)
- A mentor can serve as a sounding board during times when difficult decisions need to be made.
- Mentors can help you grow a professional network by connecting you to others.
- Mentors serve as coaches that can help you during times of change and/or transition.
- Mentors serve as cheerleaders, challenge you, and push you to go farther than you thought you could go!
- Mentors can inspire you and keep you focused.
- Getting a second (and sometimes more experienced) opinion is never a bad thing!
Ready to commit and match with a mentor that will help advance your career? The ASU Mentor Network is a great professional development platform that allows ASU students to quickly and easily connect with a mentor that closely aligns with their professional aspirations and can help coach them in the right direction. Remember: mentoring does not need to be a long-term or time-intensive commitment. The ASU Mentor Network makes it easy for a mentee to connect with a mentor on a one-time basis. Log in and get started today!